Secret Squirrel sew-along - September

Secret Squirrel has been hopping around the blogland after An from Straightgrain and Suz from Sewpony let it out in the wild three months ago. The person willing to accept a challenge is required to make an outfit for a child incorporating all five acorns of inspiration. Last month Secret Squirrel left the following acorns of inspiration:


While she was sleeping, I made a new outfit for my daughter. When I showed Little Monkey her new dress, she exclaimed, 'Whoo-haa! Look, a pocket!' I did not need to bribe her to try it on. Little Monkey grabbed the dress and started putting it on over her pyjamas!




I used Debbie's Birthday dress pattern by Sewpony. I just love the style of this dress. I have had so much fun sewing the first one, I had to make one more!

Please let me show you how I managed to incorporate the five acorns of inspiration.

One of the acorns was Back to school. In Russia, where I grew up, the school year always starts on the 1st of September. That makes it the beginning of Autumn. The days are still lovely and warm. The leaves on trees change colour and there are splashes of yellow, orange and red everywhere! I think the fabric I have chosen for this dress reflects this perfectly.

Fathers Day in Australia falls on the first Sunday in September. We went to a lovely park to play and celebrate as a family. Little Monkey had a blast!


Those things were cool but difficult to get on to... Daddy to the rescue!



The next acorn read Dr. Who. I am not a fan of the show, but since my sweetest husband is, I have seen a few episodes. In one episode the Doctor suggested that 'bow ties are cool'. I made a small bow and sewed it to the front of the dress.


Look at the back of the dress - 'Bow ties are cool!' (Dr. Who again - see Secret Squirrel, that was not too difficult after all).


See the loop on the back of the dress? I made it by hand to comply with another requirement. Which one? Dana Tanamachi! Dana creates beautiful chalk art. On the picture above it says, 'Live a quiet life and work with your hands'. The bow tie is also sewn and attached to the dress by hand. See?


It is getting warmer in my corner of the globe. Little Monkey needed a new pair of leggings. I Recycled a green singlet and made a pair of leggings using this tutorial by Make it and love it.


I over-estimated the size Little Monkey would need at the moment, so these leggings will have to wait for a year or two until she grows into them. Up until a year ago the white leggings in the photos were a top as well. Does this count?

I can hear a few people saying, 'But what about a Zipper? You should have used a zipper as well". Of course I used a zipper :) Secret Squirrel did not specify the zipper had to be functional. So...


My husband called it cheating, and I called it 'being creative'. I also believe this creative cheating counts as Recycling! What do you think? (Husband note: that sounds like double cheating)

We had so much fun playing Little Monkey got exhausted! Nothing beats mummy's hugs when little monkeys get tired :)


Happy sewing :)

Jenya

Pin It

23 comments

  1. Oh, Jenya, I call the zipper creativity at it's best and thinking outside the square. This is a fabulous version of Debbie's dress. Love everything about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Pam :) I will make sure I tell my sweetest husband there are at least two of us who think it is creativity, not cheating hehe

      Delete
  2. Count me as 3! Creative it is :) Love the look you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius!! I LOVE the colour and the bow tie element - very clever! Agree with Pam that your use of the zipper is very creative which surely is the whole idea of this series?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me as four, the use of the zipper is inspired! All round stunning outfit, love the colours. Isn't LM growing up FAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kate, my hubby is so outnumbered now :) Thank you :) I looked through my photos on Flickr last night, and it was interesting to see how much LM has changed in the last 2 years :) well, almost two years ;)

      Delete
  5. Very sweet - and so clever. The August Acorns totally stumped me! The bow tie was inspired. And the zip - I'm looking forward to the other half appearing somewhere! Also I love handmade button loops - I do them all the time (usually because I'm not very good at getting button holes to look neat) but also I like sitting quietly for ten minutes and adding that last hand-made touch. And the look so delicate and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria. I am afraid the other half of the zip might not make an appearance any time soon. I was initially going to make two pockets, but the first one didn't look very neat, so I only used one :) I might use it for something small :)

      Delete
  6. Sweet Jenya!! Thanks for sewing along:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz :) I am having so much fun with Secret Squirrel :) What a brilliant idea :)

      Delete
  7. So, so cute! And those park photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I find photos taken outdoors usually work better... Besides, I too get to run, jump and go down the slides!

      Delete
  8. Great job!! I kept thinking of the acorns way too literally that I burned myself out before I even started on the project. This month will hopefully be different. (btw I also grew up in Russia but now live in Taiwan XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо :) It is so easy to take them literally! That's why my husband suggested I was cheating ;) Hope to see your creation next month :)

      Delete
  9. Such a cute dress! The bright orange color looks great on your daughter. And the zipper decoration is unique and smart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot this time. Maybe next.
    Is not cheating!! I think is absolutely creative and looks good!!!
    I guess spring is coming in your corner. I loved those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes spring is here, and I love it :) The days are longer, it is getting warmer, we play outside as much as we can - love it! Hope you will join in next time :)

      Delete
  11. Wow! You did it nicely again. I have a blank head for this month acorns, pity.
    Love your "creative" use of zipper and the bow ties is so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I got a bit stuck on Dr. Who at first, but then once I picked the main thing (colour), the rest fall in place nicely :)

      Delete
  12. so cute! I haven't heard of this sew-a-long.. off to check it out! You are featured in todays COLORFUL ROUNDUP!! I've shared on facebook, twitter and g+... feel free to re-share :o) Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.